Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Holy Fencing Batman!

I must admit that when I received the estimate on installing a whopping 12 panels of fence in our backyard that I about had to put the phone down! The way I figured it, 12 panels at $28 each is $336, and then we would need 2 posts per panel, so 24 posts would cost about $120. Nails and the metal brackets would be negligible in the scheme of things. So overall, I'm envisioning roughly a $1500 project, maybe even $2000. Not to be! When Lowes called, they said it would set us back to the tune of $6123!!! Oh my god, are you serious??? Please tell me what the other $4000 is for! I realize I might have been a bit off on my labor estimate as I'm not in construction and don't really know what kind of prices they charge, but this price is just unreasonable! 12 panels of fence? That doesn't even cover a quarter of my yard! I know someone who has a HUGE yard and had the whole thing done for $8000. Good grief man! So needless to say, it looks as though my husband and I are about to become the notorious "do it yourselfers". It's not going to be pretty, but I'll be darned if it rings up a $6k total either! Sheesh, I thought contractors were hurting for business right now, not trying to price gouge themselves out of a sale! Too bad for them I guess!

No comments: