Thursday, October 23, 2008

Cash Is King!

Wow, it seems like such a simple thing, but we've rediscovered the power of cold, hard cash. I feel like a complete dolt when I think about how we got into debt in the first place. Those handy little plastic cards that just cry for me to use them until their little black strips fall off! I used to think that having a tremendous credit limit was this incredibly cool thing to have, but then I came to the conclusion that no one knows I have it but me, so where is the fun in that? I'm guessing that's why most of the country is in debt right now. People have this need to show off how well off they are to others that they put themselves in debt over a handbag. I've come to realize that no one cares what your handbag, car, clothes, etc. look like. They are consumed with their own world and could care less about what you have going on. So in that realization, I've set myself free. I no longer spend huge sums of money on things that I think other people will see and think i'm well off. I spend money on things I need, and the money I spend is cash. Not long ago I put together a budget to account for our spending. It was a wake up call to say the least. However, now that we have our debt paid off (credit card debt anyway), we have an exact idea of how much we should have left over every month after putting money in savings and paying the bills. This money is our "fun money" and it's cash. What a beautiful thing. There is definitely a mental trick when you use cash. Suddenly you feel compelled to keep it in your pocket rather than spend, spend, spend. And the larger the denomination of the bill, the better. If I carry around a $100 bill, I am loathe to part with that baby. It looks so cute nestled in my wallet, all cozy with it's friends the $1 bills. I find myself a lot more aware of the purchases I make now, and I'm spending a lot less. It feels pretty good. Cash really is king in my palace.

No comments: